9 sept 2010

Got a Postdoc!

Sorry for not updating since so long. Anyway I got some exciting news!

Since September 1 I am a postdoctoral research assistant at the Computational Biology group of the Computer Science Department of the Royal Holloway, University of London, under the supervision of Alberto Paccanaro. Although it might sound really "biologic", the group searches for solutions to biological problems using machine-learning based models. So, in the end, it is machine learning applied to something (biology, in this case).

The position is  for 1.5 years (till the end of February, 2012), and it is not renewable. For me it is a great opportunity to start in the world of Computational Biology, in a high-level group. Also, I would like to keep studying Machine Learning, and trying to develop some work in a more "pure" and "formal" line (but this is not a real priority).

The University seems to have a really nice working atmosphere, and all my colleagues are fantastic. Also, the department is small, but counts with great figures in Computer Science (Vladimir Vapnik since his retirement this year, Alexey Chervonenkis or Glenn Shafer, among others). Also, the fact that is not situated in the center of London makes the campus a quiet and peaceful zone (perfect for thinking and working).

I think it is going to be one of the most important periods of my research career (and probably my life).

No hay comentarios: